Wednesday, March 7, 2012

First week

 

You’re going to hate me for posting this recipe. Or love me.  Depends.

Today was my first week “back in business” as a full time mom.  I had the luxury of having my wonderful husband home for four weeks.  He took care of the girls, took Diva to school and tended to the mundane activities of the day.  I was able to nap, sleep in and enjoy my little boy to the max. 

And now that dream land is over.  Back to life.  Back to reality.

You want to know what I did on the very first day?  Got a migraine.  It was an, “Are you freaking kidding me?!” migraine.  And probably my worst yet.  I’ve mentioned the migraine auras before.  I know as soon as those start, I’m going to be in a world of hurt. I had my very good friend’s birthday lunch to attend so I dealt with my obstructed vision and went out.  Probably not the smartest idea seeing as I had to drive.  I even downed my prescription strength Ibuprofen hoping it would kill it. 

I was soooo wrong.

As soon as my vision cleared and I was sitting in a bakery with my friends, it felt as if a vice was slowly squeezing my brains.  I could not think straight.  My friends started to notice and demanded I go home.  My wonderful friend took Munchkin for me and I drove home as fast as I could because I was very soon going to puke my guts out.  And I did.  And then I had to literally crawl on my hands and knees back to my bed (thankfully G-man was sleeping away in his carseat). I crashed on the bed and did not move a muscle for at least two hours.  KC came home for lunch at some point and gave me a blessing.  I then fell asleep for a bit and woke up feeling 100 times better. 

I usually get migraines after I have a baby.  It must be a hormonal thing.  Gotta love that.

Anyway that was the first day and thankfully the rest of the week has been much better.  Despite a lack of sleep I’m feeling good. 

Good enough to tempt you with some AMAZING cookies.  Thank you BrownEyedBaker.  I hesitated posting this because I promised my dear sister I’d give up sugar for Lent.  Well that went to hell in a hand basket pretty quickly, let me tell you…especially when migraines CLEARLY call for chocolate.  Sorry Lindz.

Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 16 cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

3. On medium speed, cream together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually add the flour until just combined. Stir in the oats, and then the chocolate chips.

4. Use a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons) and drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Enjoy!  They are evil.

5 comments:

TheKeilShpeel said...

So jealous you got your man for 4 weeks but so sorry you had a migrane that first day. :(.. ok.. and giving up for Lent? What religion are we? :).. but those sound sinful but sooo good. I love oatmeal choc chip cookies. I might be making these tomorrow.. or maybe even tonight.

KickButtMommy said...

Has it already been four weeks? What a rotten migraine. I make very similar cookies but also put in M&Ms. Try it. For reals.

Lindsay said...

That migrane sounds totally awful. And those cookies sound and look really, really good. And I'm, uh, totally, really not so much sugar free. Oops. Luke's birthday totally threw me off. I'm trying really hard to cut back though.

Unknown said...

That sounds so horrible! I can't believe you posted those. Seriously. Good thing I don't have peanut butter right now ... or else I'd start those this afternoon. Lol.

Lindsay said...

Ugh. Your pictures are too good. And those cookies look too yummy. Every time I look at this post I want one so badly. I may have to make those next week.

LW

Related Posts with Thumbnails