Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The thumb

thumb2-1

When Diva was born, she refused every single pacifier I put into her mouth.  She’d spit them out as if they were poison.  So I gave up.  Then at four months old she found her thumb. 

Now I can scarcely believe that it’s been almost five years since that day and the thumb is still very much a part of her life.  She saves it only for movie time and bed time, and only if she has her beloved, tattered blanket.  No blanket, no thumb. 

Part of the reason why I have such a hard time taking away Munchkin’s binkies is because I cannot take away Diva’s thumb.  How fair is that?  Both bring comfort, both bring sleep. Yeah, there’s that whole it will ruin their teeth kind of thing but guess what?  Hubby had his pacifiers until he was four years old (heck, he even brought them to preschool and stored them in his cubby!) and his straight teeth never saw a single brace.  jealous.

So I let them have their thumbs and their binkies and their precious little blankets because childhood is fleeting. 

Safety and comfort are feelings that should not be disturbed.

5 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Sigh. I am SO torn over Oliver's binkies. You're right though. DEEP SIGH!

Stringham Family said...

I wouldn't worry about braces. Most kids get them regardless of their sucking habits. I say Let it Ride. Life is hard enough so if kids want comfort let it be.

KickButtMommy said...

So sweet! I sucked my thumb until I was 8. No braces for me either!

Vanessa said...

and that's ok! :)

Nicole said...

Amen, its going to make your life a whole lot easier!

LW

Related Posts with Thumbnails