Tuesday, April 1, 2008


Okay I can FINALLY post something now. My blog was taken over because apparently blogspot thought it was a spam blog and they locked it for 4 days! Poo on you blogspot.

Anyway, as most of you know by now I gave birth to our precious baby Lil' Sis on March 27th. Yes, her due date. How ironic that I was on here complaining about still being pregnant and then I had her a mere several hours later. I know some of you want to know details but I'll be careful about TOO many details because I know many of my brothers will read this as well as couple childless friends so I'll leave some stuff out for your benefit. *wink*

Anyway so I came on here whining about being pregnant. I was feeling "off" but I attributed that to being nearly 10 months pregnant. Around 2pmish I started having contractions. They were irregular and not very painful so I tried not to think too much of them. I had a normal Dr. appt at 3 pm. I thought, "well if these are real contractions they should be doing something so I'll go get checked and see if anything is happening." I had avoided all other internal exams up until this point because well, they are flippin uncomfortable and any woman who has been pregnant before knows they are pointless anyway.

The Dr. checks me (meanwhile still having somewhat regular contractions) and he says, "Well this baby really likes it in there, you're closed and still very high." For you never preggos and males that basically means, "ha ha ha sucker you'll probably still be pregnant for another week."

I thought, "Like heck I'm going to come to another Dr. appt, let's get these contractions going!!" I dilly dally at home with Diva for about an hour. I never bothered to time contractions, I was only focusing on how intense they were and they were still very tolerable. HOWEVER around 4 I had two CRAZY intense contractions back to back so I called Hubby and told him he should probably come home. I am grateful that both his work AND the hospital are within 2 miles of our place.

After those crazy contractions, they died down a bit and weren't as painful. I'll admit, I WANTED more pain because I thought the more mild contractions weren't doing anything. So when Hubby got home I said, "Let's take a walk." He jokingly said, "I raced home to expect to have to rush to the hospital and you want to take a STROLL around the block???" So we load up Diva in the stroller and cruise around the neighborhood. This helped pick up the contractions even though Hubby was convinced I might give birth right there in the street.

I finally called my mom some time around 5ish and told her she probably should come get Diva. I hesitated calling her because I honestly thought the contractions might stop and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. So she picked her up around 5:30 but watched me through a couple contractions, with pure jealously I'm sure. ha ha...kidding mom. She told Hubby we should probably go to the hospital SOON. However I was bound and determined to wait as long as possible because the LAST thing I wanted was to get to the hospital and have them tell me, "You're 3 cm." For those of you who don't know I was wanting to go without pain meds (epidural) and when you get to the hospital they immediately hook you up to all sorts of contraptions limiting your mobility and basically forcing you to stay in bed which is the LAST place a laboring mother wants to be. Home was a much better place. I actually sat draped over an exercise ball with a heating pad on my back and watched Friends. I was feeling good in between contractions so I felt there was no rush. However they started to come every 5 minutes...then every 4....when they started coming every 2 minutes I told Hubby it was probably time to go. We arrived at the hospital around 6:50 pm. They checked me and hallelujah I was 7 cm!!! I was actually shocked by how far I had come because my contractions were only somewhat intolerable at their peaks. I attribute this to my water being intact the entire time. It made for a MUCH less intense labor experience.

Things moved VERY quickly after that. I had an incredibly amazing nurse. Once she knew I was wanting to go natural she made every effort to help me reach that goal. She never bothered with an IV, she let me move around and was always very encouraging.

Around 7:30ish I felt it.....that crazy intense, uncontrollable urge to bear down. I thought, "oh crap this baby is coming!" So I got back into bed and laid on my side. Hubby summoned the nurse. She came in and checked me one last time and I was ready to go, but my bag of waters was still intact. The Dr. had not arrived yet so the nurse did not want to break my water seeing as how once she did that the baby would be here and she'd have to deliver her herself. Well she had NO CHOICE. hahaha. My water popped on it's own and Lil' Sis was a VERY impatient baby. She came out in two pushes within 2 minutes and was born at 7:40 pm. I was totally euphoric after that. Natural childbirth is very intense* but that feeling that immediately rushes over your body once your baby is born is a feeling all druggies and junkies wish they could bottle up and sell on the streets. I was totally in shock. I said to myself, "Did that really just happen???" I felt super fantastic and got up and moved around shortly after my Babita had her first meal. I then went home the next day at 1 pm.

So here are some pics. I definitely need to take more seeing as how they change so quickly. Her stats were 6lbs 12 oz and 20.5 inches long. She's beautiful and we love every piece of her!


*I never really like to say labor is "painful" because it's a completely different kind of pain. I always call it "intense" because that is EXACTLY what it is. The body is doing incredible things and the power of a woman's muscles interacting together to birth a child is an experience that can really only be called intense. Well, in my opinion anyway.


KC said...

Carly failed to mention that the doctor never arrived on time and I had to deliver the baby. The umbilical chord was stuck around the baby's neck and everything. Good thing I spent all those years watching General Hospital and Doogie Howser.

Lindsay said...

Spoken like a true doula-in-training, Carly. Intense is a good word--often it's so intense your mind can't cope with it, you panic and THEN it becomes pain. But you're amazing!! I'm so impressed by your control and trust in your body to do its thing. All those people out there who think a non-medicated birth is pure insanity should read your blog. We need to move to CA for our next baby so you can be my doula!

Oh, and way to go, Dr. KC. Did you really deliver the baby, or did the nurse??

Marisa said...

You are my HERO.

Bob C said...

Does this mean you had your baby? Why wasn't I informed?


Morgan and Derek said...

Congrats my dear. You are awesome.

Kara said...

Carly she is so beautiful! Congratulations again! Oh, and I love your little blurb about labor being intense. It's so true.

debora said...

Wow! I finally figured out why I had eleven children-just so I could feel that euphoric high after drug free child- birth. Hmmm, maybe that's why I love running so much. yeah for endorphins!
Carly-you're a natural. An example to all.
kc-I guess this means all your future children will be born at home since you seem to know what you're doing.

TR said...

I agree with LIndsay! There's no other high and for me, drugs would ruin the birthing experience. Thx for sharing your story. You'll be a great doula!

AHEM said...

i said almost the exact thing after i had greta.

eric: hayley, what just happened?
me: i don't even know. that was a whirlwind

hooray for natural birth!

Carly said...

Lindsay-don't worry the nurse DID deliver her. You should know better than to believe my husband.


Related Posts with Thumbnails