Sunday, May 8, 2011

Women’s Day

Technically it’s Mother’s Day.  But I tend to think that is a tad bit exclusive.  So I am including women everywhere.  That’s how I roll.  My heart just aches for those women who so badly want to have a child and just can’t. On some teeny teeny tiny, miniscule, microscopic level, I can understand.  So to those women I say, “Happy Mother’s Day.” You are a mother in your own right.  You too deserve flowers, treats, cards, hugs and thank you’s.  You deserve it.

Momgirls-1

Anyway.  How grateful I am for these two princesses in my life.  How blessed I am with countless examples of what it means to be a truly amazing “mother.”  My sisters, my sisters in-law, my mother and mother in-law and so many of my friends who inspire me every single day.  Because really, life is not about how much money you have, how many Facebook friends you acquire, how big or how clean your house is, how many cars you own, whether or not you have an iPhone, how many cable T.V. channels you have access to, how many books you’ve read, how fashion forward you are, how the Lakers got swept this season, how much your roots have grown in, how hairy your eyebrows are, the last time you had a pedicure, the last time you showered, how white your legs are, how the princess dresses in your home seem to be mating and multiplying at a rather alarming rate, how big your laundry pile is, how much make up you have on, how much chocolate you’ve eaten or even how much you can’t stand that Tamara chick on Real Housewives of Orange County.

It’s just not about any of that.  Not even close.

It’s about how wonderful my husband is and how much I love to be around him.  It’s about the hugs and kisses from my girls.  It’s about friendships and family.  It’s about sharing the Gospel.  It’s about examples and service.  It’s about LOVE. 

And today in church as we sang the hymn, “O My Father” and thinking how strange we would sing that on Mother’s day, I began to really read the lyrics.  And I understood:

O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet oft times a secret something
Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

I have no doubts we have a Heavenly Mother awaiting our return.  How She longs for us to choose the right path in life.  How She is in the beauty around us, the colors of the earth, the smells of the seasons and the innocence of young children. 

And I can’t wait to be with Her and Him again.

And just because I like to keep it real:

crying2-1

Response to Mommy taking away her chocolate.

 

crying-1

Response to Mommy telling her not eat snacks before dinner.

Such is motherhood.

 

4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Carly, you are beautiful inside and out. I love the way you write and the way you capture daily moments of motherhood. I think you should write a book. Happy Mother's Day, friend.

Morgan Hagey said...

I love singing Oh My Father on Mother's Day because it is the ONLY hymn that references our Heavenly Mother. I love it.

Briana said...

I am not supposed to be looking at your blog! I'm just drawn to your pictures... and the things you say... cuz I DO think you're cool!

TheKeilShpeel said...

Love that you photograph the meltdowns. :). I totally agree on it being a Woman's day. My Great Aunt has never married but she's been such an amazing Mother to the family. I loved church on Sunday. So many great lessons and talks.

LW

Related Posts with Thumbnails