Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Appendix-less


He's super excited.

Hubby had a weird uncomfortable pain in his upper abdomen for about 4 days. Honestly in the beginning I thought it was gas pain but when day 4 rolled around we knew something was up. He had no fever or vomiting or any other symptoms so we never suspected appendicitis. Lo and behold after a CT scan they discovered his appendix to be very inflamed. He was scheduled for surgery a few hours later and the surgeon said that if had waited another day it would have burst. Glad we got that checked out.


Enjoying his first meal of solid foods in 24 hours. Yummy hospital food.



I'll be doing a lot of this during his recovery time.

Overall this little experience has opened my eyes a bit. I'm grateful that neither myself nor my kids or my husband has an illness that requires them to be in a hospital most of the time. I'm grateful we have health insurance. I'm grateful Hubby only had 3 days of work this week and didn't have to use 5 sick days. I'm grateful for family being close by to help watch my girls. I'm grateful this was just a minor surgery and nothing more severe. I'm grateful for modern medicine. I'm grateful this didn't happen over Thanksgiving because we're going to Disneyland and I really want to go. I'm grateful for friends who offer to help, even a friend who just broke her pelvis last week. Seriously. She's nuts.

So now Hubby gets to join the club and attend secret parties and ceremonies with appendix-less people. You know, just like the club with people who have no tonsils.

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

It's amazing how hard things happen in our lives and make us realize how blessed we are and see how many things we have to be grateful for! We are all so blessed! Excited for you that you still get to go to Disney! Hope everything continues to go well and hope your hubby gets well soon!

The Greenwoods said...

Hope you feel better Casey! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

Cindy said...

Great now I bet Kelli and him are going to form some sort of secret alliance now that they are appendix-less buddies. Dang. Those secret societies are so hard to get into.
Maya is such a cutie!!

debora said...

Tell Casey he, Kelli and I will have a club meeting at Christmastime.
Who needs an appendix anyway?

Cookies and Crumbs said...

Have fun babysitting ALL your kids this week! I didn't even know there was secret clubs for missing body parts!

Jen said...

I totally agree w/ all your things to be thankful for! We've had some health issues here recently--but thankfully everything is checking out ok! Hope your hubby feels better soon!

Coburn Ohana said...

Oh man! I know just what Casey went thru...I had mine out in January. I had an annoying pain, nothing unbearable by any means, and just motherly intuition I guess...woke up with the pain and said, "It's my appendix." No one believed me, until I drove MYSELF to the dr's to confirm. A few hours later I was in surgery!

Emili said...

wow! Glad Casey is okay! If you need anything, and you run out of people, I'd love to volunteer my parents to help too! :)

Sophia said...

Maybe we should get some health insurance!!! Get well soon Casey!

Bree said...

Was he drinking diet coke in the hospital?? That's awesome! I love that he went surfing with appendicitis too. I kind of want to get my appendix taken out now, just so I can attend those secret parties.....Will Ferrell will be there. Will KC have a cool scar like him?

LW

Related Posts with Thumbnails